4-on-4 Open Division
4v4 Open Basketball Rules
First and foremost all DC Fray leagues are 50% Social and 50% Sport. We do have officials; however, we expect individuals to respect the league’s culture of fair and fun play. Foul language and rough play will not be tolerated and individuals who cannot adhere to our standards of fair play and sportsmanship may be asked to leave the league. DC Fray wants everyone to have a fun and be social while enjoying a great sport. DC Fray will do whatever they can to make sure all players are having fun.
- Teams are formed by players registering as groups or free agents. Dues are based on individual registrations and can be by the registering player or on behalf of others. The league welcomes free agents and those without full teams.
- Captains are responsible for communicating with teammates once the season starts. Any concerns, issues or feedback is encouraged to be brought to the league by team captains.
- Start dates are listed on individual season pages. Seasons are typically 8 weeks long with a 6 x 2 or 7 x 1 format (regular season, tournaments) The number of teams making the final tournament is based on total number of teams and other league logistics.
- Main rule points for 4v4 league:
- There will be no backcourt or ten (10) second rules, as the court is not large enough.
- There will be no 3-pointers
- There will be free-throws, offensive 3-second calls, 5 second in-bounds & possession calls, and substitutions as normal.
- Teams may play with 3 players.
- All other rules are as normal with 5v5 standards
- All fouls will be called by the Head Referee.
- Free throws: team members should line up on the lower blocks, and can go in for the rebound on the release of the shot.
- Subs are allowed in after the first free throw is shot, if they sub is for the shooter, the sub can come in if the shooter makes the second free throw. For one-and-one situations, the sub will come in before the shot is taken.
- Bonus free throws will be awarded on the seventh (7th) and tenth (10th) team fouls, consistent with standard basketball rules.
- There will be NO back court rules in this league, as the court is not large enough.
- If a game is tied at the end of regulation, there will be a 1 minute overtime. Clock will stop on every whistle in the last minute. Once the first overtime concludes, the game will go into sudden death where the first team to score any point (free throw or basket) wins the game. **Playoffs and Championship – overtime will consist of one five (5) minute session.
- Each game will be played with a women’s size basketball (28.5 inches in circumference).
TIME AND TIMEOUTS
- Games typically run with Two (2) twenty minute (20mins) halves with running clock, having the clock stop the last minute of each half on every whistle. Alterations of game times may occur due to league logistics.
- Each team has three (3) timeouts per game.
- The clock will stop on all dead balls, foul shots and any other related stop of play that requires adjustment on the court in the last minute of each half.
- Substitutes are allowed in the league as long as they are a registered player from another team or other DC Fray league. Non Registration players must be cleared through the league by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. No Substitutes are allowed in the final tournament games.
- Teams can start and play an entire game with three (3) players. If a team has three (3) players, they will not be permitted any subs. The team must play with three (3) players, unless the opposing team permits a substitute player added based on their consent.
- If a team has less than three (3) players, subs will be granted until the total number of players equals four following the above listed rules.
ELIGIBILITY OF INDIVIDUALS
- A complete roster consists of 7-10 registered and paid players. Groups with eight (8) or fewer players on their roster when registration closes is eligible to receive additional players from the free agents pool executed by the league.
- Everyone who plays in the games (including substitutes) must be registered to play in the league and have a signed player waiver on file.
- If a member of the league receives two (2) technicals in one (1) game that individuals will be asked to leave the gym that evening.
- Three (3) technical fouls in one (1) season, that individual will be forced to sit out the next game.
- Four (4) technical fouls in one (1) season, that individual will not be allowed back into the league.
- Jersey Policy: We will provide each player with a league t-shirt and these are yours to keep! Once a group reaches “team” status they can choose their team color (very important).
Score Keeping is maintained by players within the league. The league will send out an email asking for volunteers to keep score throughout the season. DC Fray. Each team is required to provide coverage for a specific game day should volunteers not step forward.
Liquor, tobacco and/or illegal substances are not tolerated and are also not allowed inside the gym.